Monday, March 25, 2013

Say "NO" as a act of Self-Love

Sometimes you feel that by saying "YES" you are opening your heart but what you are really doing is binding yourself, unable to move...

Today I said "NO" to someone I love and much to my surprise, the effect, on me was liberating, empowering and self-freeing...so today I would like to invite you to SAY NO as an act of self-love...I use to think that leading a life of love meant being a "yes person" but I have now learned that love starts with compassion and compassion starts with honesty. And in all honesty, saying No to others is sometimes the only way to saying yes to you...

If I think back on all the "yes" I said in my life, I realize that many were not a act of love. Quite the opposite, they stemmed from my fear of rejection, my eagerness to project a positive self-image to others, a desire to be accepted, an anxiety that comes from feeling intimidated by another...and those "yes" moments took me further away from my self-worth.

Saying "no" from a place of love and selflessness is the hardest lesson of them all. The very concept is paradoxical because "no" is always equated with being selfish. But hold on a minute! I asked myself today "if I say no, I am being selfish towards WHO?" And the answer is "selfish towards ME...

So think about all the things you said and will say "yes" to, and give yourself permission to change some of those to a NO! NO to high-maintenance friendships that drain you, NO to allowing another to abuse your kindness. No to being taken for granted. No to letting someone intimidate you into saying yes when in your heart you just want to say no. No to feeling guilty. No to self pity. No to being a people pleaser. No to putting yourself down. No to thinking you are not enough. SAY YES TO YOU! Set yourself boundaries and know that LOVE is more POWERFUL when it is HONEST. #DM #ShonRoka #BHZLife #AllIGot #Heart #Love #REAL #OneLife #FH #AboutThatLife

No comments:

Post a Comment